Allergy Update #2/IMWI Training Weeks 21 & 22

Well maybe I should change this to an allergy blog, because lately that’s all that I’ve been dealing with and training has mostly taken a backseat.  Skipping Week 20’s update because it was a dismal 3:06, so not much to report there.

Allergy updates: Two Sunday nights ago I used a product that I didn’t realize had propylene glycol in it and by the next morning the rashes were out of control and itchy (and I also had them down THERE….ants in my pants!).  So I might have hysterically called the Drs. office for something to help with the itching and calm the rash down.  The nurse offered either something topical or something oral, and since the rash was allll over, topical seemed kind of pointless, so I said oral.  Within an hour at I was Walgreens to pick it up, which turned out to be a 12 day round of Prednisone.  I was happy but also a little sad thinking of the potential weight gain that I had during the last two rounds, also coming off of it I found myself anxious and depressed (which is a direct relationship to my lack of desire to train on my ‘bad’ weeks).

However I started it that day and by day 3 my rashes had significantly improved, but my anxiety was through the roof.  I just felt awful..and the thought of feeling that way for 9 more days, plus how awful I have felt coming off of them sounded miserable too.  So I called my dad (who is a retired Dr.) to see if I would have horrible withdrawal from suddenly stopping. He said no since 3 days is such a short-term dosage so I should be fine.  Phew!  However after I stopped I still had the anxiety/depression feelings from stopping and by Sunday I was kind of a mess.  Training was the last thing on my mind.

See, I told you this should be an allergy blog 😉  Ok, on to (what little of there is) Training Updates!

Week 21

Monday-3650 y swim  Overslept and am in the office Monday-Wednesday so I couldn’t fit it in at lunch

Tuesday – Speedwork, it was HOT out: 800 warmup, 2×200, 2×400, 2×800, 800 cooldown

Wednesday – Trainer ride in the am, with a double brick, warmup, 10@ 150w, 8 min run, 10 @150w, 8 min run….that was tougher than I thought it would be!  I fit in a quick swim after work 1500y.

Thursday – Failed Tempo Run. 1 Mile warmup, 4 at 9:30, 1 mile cooldown. I have just been really sucking at these runs.  I live in a pretty hilly area and I think that’s killing me and mentally makes me check out.  I turned around 2.5 miles in and just ran back home, I was feeling so fatigued that I would worry if I did that full loop, I would be crawling home.  So 4.11 miles total.

Friday – Took PTO since I was flying out to Austin at 2p, so I did Saturday’s long swim that morning, 3250y.

Saturday – Woke up around 8:30 and headed out to run…it was looking cloudy out but not terrible.  I was excited to run there because our hotel was right next to a long trail (10 mile loop!) along the CO river.  It was beautiful.  The plan was to do 10 miles, I even brought my handheld and two gels.  I was prepared!  A little tired from not getting back to our room until 3a (aaand too many vodka tonics…I can drink clear liquor, but I think I won’t be doing that again after that weekend) but not terrible. It was going to be a pokey run, but I was determined to get it done.  Two miles into my run lightning struck and it started to pour.  I hid under a bridge hoping for it to clear up, but it didn’t look like it was going to let up anytime soon, so after 15 minutes I headed back to the hotel, which got quiet sketchy at times with so much lightning and thunder.  When I got back to the hotel I hung out at the front, hoping it would let up soon, but it was starting to get close to the time the group was meeting for brunch, so I called it a day with 4 sad miles.

Sunday – Oh boy.  Another night of dancing until 3a with too many vodka tonics (doubles at times to save time from having to wait in the super long lines…in hindsight that was realllly stupid).  I woke up feeling horrible, actually I think most of the girls in the group felt that way.  We headed to a place well-known for their amazing buffet, and it definitely hit the spot!  All I wanted to do was go back to the hotel and sleep, but I had to rally because I had a flight to catch!  By the time I got home at 4:30 I was in no mood (or shape) to ride 2.5 hours.  Although I had big goals of getting up early the next day and doing it.

Total Training hours: 3:44 ….it hurts to type that.

Week 22

Monday – still woke up feeling like crap (combined with the rash was a realllly fun day) so no ride, and also no swim after work.

Tuesday – still feeling off (thanks prednisone!) so I skipped my speedwork…maybe I was coming down with something

Wednesday – Definitely not just the prednisone, definitely was a bug (blaming it on those two waaaay waaaay way to late nights and probably all of the germs on the plane), lots of upset stomach action, so no swim or ride 😦

Thursday – More bug, stopped taking prednisone. No tempo run.

Friday – Off,  training wise and literally since I took the day off from work. I really should have done at least ONE workout that day, but ended up running a bunch of errands I needed to run, so at least it was a productive day.

Saturday – Still more stomach issues, attempted to hop on the trainer but only made it 30 minutes. No swim either.

Sunday – Determined to get in at least one workout, so I set out get in 10 miles…which turned into a little over 4 miles because I felt so crappy.  My legs just felt weak and my head felt dizzy (maybe a combination of prednisone and stomach bug? who the F knows at this point).

Monday (adding this in since it was a long weekend and I technically made up Saturday’s ride that day) – I had a swim planned, but rode for 2 hours instead (from Saturday’s failed ride), I will do Monday’s swim on Friday day am.

Total Training Hours: 2:30.  Oh Hell. IMWI is three months away.  I need to get my chit together…big time.

Tonight I am going to an actual track for speedwork, I think part of what I struggle with is the loop that I use in a nearby park is kind of hilly and maybe speedwork wouldn’t be so awful on a flat track.  I was originally planning on doing Monday’s swim that I swapped with a trainer ride instead this morning, but, because JMR had to pick me up from urgent care after they gave me that anti-anxiety meds, I had to wait until he left for work since the Urgent care was close to his work.  The goal is to get in ALL of my workouts this week, on the days that they are planned (well except the swim).

Happy Tuesday 🙂

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s